Residence Hall Information

When may I move into the residence hall for the fall semester?

The residence halls will open at 8:00 a.m. on Opening Day for the spring and fall semesters. In order to get the most out of this first day, we suggest that you arrive before 4:00 p.m. When you arrive, please go to the front entrance, and a hostess will direct you to the appropriate office. All other times must be coordinated with the Office of Student Life.

What facilities are available in the residence halls?

Each residence hall is set up with a central hallway and resident rooms which house from two to six residents. Each residence hall also has a central restroom, shower room, and a laundry facility. Storage facilities are also made available.

How may my parents contact me at the college?

  • By mail: Mail is delivered to your locked mailbox on the campus daily.
    • The college address is as follows:
    • Hyles-Anderson College
    • 8400 Burr Street
    • Crown Point, Indiana 46307
  • By phone: Your family may reach the Security Department in an emergency by calling (219) 365-4031 and asking for Security.
    • This is strictly limited to emergency situations.
  • Hyles-Anderson College is in the Central Time Zone.

How are rooms in the residence halls furnished?

  • Residence rooms are furnished by the college with a bed, a wardrobe (35″ by 77″) for hanging clothes, and additional dresser space.
    • Men: Each man is allowed to bring a bookshelf (without doors) as long as it is no more than 12” deep and 3’ wide. Each man may have one additional storage unit (i.e. stackable crates, or storage cubes) that is no larger than 12” wide and 17 1/2” deep.
    • Ladies: Each lady is also allowed to have one additional storage unit (i.e. stackable crates, or storage cubes) that is no larger than 12” wide and 17 1/2” deep.

What should I bring to college?

  • Bedding for a Twin Bed
    • Pillow
    • Bedspread
    • Linens
    • Blankets
    • Mattress cover
  • Personal Gear
    • Towels
    • Washcloths
    • Shower articles (i.e. soap, shampoo, razor, etc.)
    • Container for shower articles or shower caddy
  • Clothing
    • Church and school attire
    • Warm clothing (i.e. warm boots, gloves, etc.)*
    • * These items are a must for our climate.


      What else may I bring to college?

  • Lamp – clip or bed lamp
  • Fan
  • Power strips – must have a reset button
  • Bulletin board – no larger than 24” x 36”
  • Bed risers – no higher than 7”
  • Iron
  • Wastebasket
  • Vacuum

Are refrigerators and microwaves allowed?

  • Ladies: Because of the limited electrical capacity available in the ladies’ residence halls, ladies may only have one refrigerator per room. The floor measurements of this refrigerator must not exceed 20” wide and 16” deep. If you are considering the purchase of a small refrigerator, we suggest you wait until after you arrive. You and your roommates may want to purchase one together.
  • Each ladies’ residence hall has a microwave and iron in the common room that may be used by all residents.
  • Men: Each room may have a maximum of two microwaves and two refrigerators per room. We recommend that you wait to work out the purchase of these items with your roommates after you arrive. Refrigerators must not exceed 30” in height.

May I bring my personal computer?

Yes, you may bring your computer. Filtered internet and email access are available.

May I bring my own car?

  • Ladies: The college supplies transportation to all resident ladies to and from the following places: church, shopping, the library, school activities, and soul-winning ministries. A lady resident who will work an off-campus job may have a need for a car if she were to work at a place to which the college does not already supply transportation. Of course, many ladies form car pools to and from worksites.
  • Men: A car is permitted; however, it is not recommended unless finances permit. The college provides transportation to and from church, and many men form car pools to and from their work and ministries.